Friday, May 28, 2010

Oh my!! May

May is the ewe that started me in Shetlands. She impressed me, I like her size, pluck and body frame. She came January 7, 2010. She is 5 years old and had been left open. She struck up a friendship with my ram Elvis. She is due any day and I have been hovering over her.  Every barn check, where's May? She comes up for her chin scratch and animal cracker. She is a great ewe..........and so I wait, wait. She has looked ready to go for a week or more. I can't stand the suspense. You see the ram Elvis was white with clean head and legs, but sired black lambs from a white ewe>>>>>>>>.  His sire was a Lincoln/Icelandic  and his dam is a HST marked Black Icelandic/Romanov. I am hoping for ewe lambs of course a bit of color would be a bonus. She is healthy and robust, the recent heat concerns me.  She goes out to pasture, the others run back to the barn, she does a slow waddle. May's udder is full and her ligaments are dropping. So I watch-----wringing my hands.
Till later
Jerry

4 comments:

Michelle said...

I'm in the same boat with you, Jerry!

Anonymous said...

Aah, the wait. It's excruciating! The suspense! :-)

Becky Utecht said...

I know just how you feel, she kept me in suspense going past her due date by two weeks when I thought she was ready to pop. She has produced spotted crossbred lambs in the past, good luck!

Disabled In Ontario said...

Hi! What a great blog! Beautiful pics!
When you crossed the icelandic and romanov did you find the crosses bred out of season like romanovs so that you could get 3 lambings in 2 years?